GEAR UP is a federally funded grant initiative that provides students with the skills, access, preparation and information needed to enter and succeed in post-secondary education.
- Increase the academic performance and preparation for post-secondary education for GEAR UP students.
- Increase the rate of high school graduation and participation in post-secondary education for GEAR UP students.
- Increase GEAR UP educational expectations and knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation and financing.
Who We Impact
The GEAR UP initiative will work collaboratively with higher education and business partners to provide resources to students and parents in order to prepare and motivate students to achieve beyond their current expectations.
A cohort of approximately 2,000 students from several Lafayette Parish schools have begun this early college intervention initiative. These students will be able to participate in GEAR UP program throughout the rest of their middle and high school years.
Why Do We Need GEAR UP?
- Of every 100 Louisiana 9th graders, only 56 graduate from high school
- 33 of those 56 enter college
- 12 of those 33 graduate within 6 years
- Of those 12, only 2 are low-income students
- By closing the participation gap, the number of Louisiana students age 18 and older enrolled in college would grow 71% in 15 years
(Education Commission of the States, 2003)